Twenty-two Academy of Health Professions students met for
their first day of classes in the new Laboratory/classroom in the Health
Sciences Building on Middle Street. Students were excited to use this new
space as home to the Academy. With funding from the Department of
Labor, new cabinets holding clinical supplies are now set along the walls,
and tables and stools have replaced the standard tablet chairs giving the
instructor a viable laboratory space for students to learn. The Academy of Health Professions will utilize this lab space for classes in offered in its programs.
The newly established Clinical Laboratory Department held its first Advisory Board meeting on Wednesday. The meeting and was led by the program's coordinator and new faculty member, Suzanne McHale.
The membership of the advisory board provides representation from local employers as well as higher education. THe board members are:
- Mary Elizabeth Hooker, PhD Associate
Professor, Clinical Laboratory Science, University of Massachusetts Lowell
- Kristin Palladino, MS, MLS (ASCP) Microbiology Department, Brigham and Women's
- Margo Gustafson, Laboratory Operations Manager,
Melrose-Wakefield Hospital, Melrose
- Donna Richards, Laboratory Director,
Lahey Clinic, Burlington
- Linda Kilbride, MS, MLS (ASCP), Laboratory
Manager, Lowell General Hospital, Saints Campus, Lowell
- Lauren Ellis,
Admissions Department, Middlesex Community College, Lowell, MA
- Denise Garrow-Pruitt, Assistant Dean of Health, Middlesex Community College
The meeting ended with the unveiling of the newly completed lab!